Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Updating a client: passwords and large files

One of my best clients contacted me today about a routine update to their website.  The last update was performed about a year ago, and new prices and videos need to be added.

In general I work with a lot of clients but as a personal rule I don't keep their passwords.  It's a security measure for the client's safety in case my system is ever hacked or stolen. Client security and protection is very important to me, and I take no chances with sensitive client info.  So what this means is whenever I have a repeat-client contact me for an update, although it adds a small level of administrative prep work, I always require their current log-in info as opposed to having it on hand. 

 Regarding large files: my client also needs a new video placed on their website.  Before converting their video to flash video and coding it into their site, I must first obtain their video.  Sometimes this is as easy as having the client put it on a disk and mailing it to me, or my picking it up if its local, but my preferred method of transfering large files is a nifty little service called "Drop Box."  www.dropbox.com is the site, and it is a fantastic way to share large files with friends and clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment